A natural detoxifier, dandelion leaf (diente de león) helps promote bile excretion from the liver, thus permitting the efficient processing of liquids and foods plus purging of toxins.* Improved bile flow also makes it possible for the body to better metabolize fat, which improves the body’s cholesterol levels.*
Effective at stimulating the gallbladder, an organ responsible for storing and excreting bile, dandelion leaf also purifies the blood.* This reduces the burden placed on the liver to filter out toxins, thus optimizing its performance.*
Though masked by chlorophyll, dandelion is a very rich source of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A.* This flowering plant is also rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus.* It is a great source of several B-complex vitamins, a variety of minerals, sodium, and vitamin D.* Dandelion also contains protein.* It has been used thousands of years in culinary and medicinal applications (for example, to treat anemia, scurvy, skin problems, blood disorders, and depression).*
Other health benefits of dandelion leaf:*
- Bone health - A natural source of minerals such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iron which help prevent osteoporosis.
- Digestive aid – Acts as a mild laxative that relieves constipation, promotes digestion, stimulates appetite, treats cramping, diarrhea, and bloating, and balances the natural and beneficial bacteria in the intestines.
- Kidney, urinary tract, & liver health – Diuretic action helps the kidneys clear out waste, salt, and excess water. This inhibits microbial growth in the urinary system as well. Improves liver function by removing toxins and restoring hydration and electrolyte balance.
- Chronic illness – The leaves are rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients that combat chronic illnesses.
- Diabetes – Can help regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Blood pressure reduction – Because dandelion leaf is a diuretic, blood pressure can be lowered with its consumption. Dandelion’s fiber and potassium content also help regulate blood pressure.
- Cholesterol control – Studies have shown that dandelion lowers and control cholesterol levels, which can increase due to diabetes. Reduction in low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels can reduce one’s risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Anti-inflammatory – Contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that reduce inflammation throughout the body, which can relieve pain, aches, and swelling.
- Immune system enhancer – Boosts immune function and wards off microbes and fungi.